Today, some of our members where in Hartford today where Senate and House Democrats laid out their plan to pass a Paid Family and Medical Leave bill. This bill would allow for paid time off to recover from an illness, take care of a sick loved one, and even paid time off after the birth of a child. Similar bills have passed in New York, Massachuttes, New Jersey and Rhode Island. It is time for Connecticut to join in protecting our workers.
You would be able to take leave for:
- a serious health condition
- the birth or adoption of a new child or a foster care placement
- to provide caregiving to a family member with a serious illness
- to serve as an organ or bone marrow donor
- to care for an injured service member
- for issues associated with domestic violence
To be eligible:
- An employee must have earned $2325 in the highest earning quarter within the five most recently completed calendar quarters
- Earnings may be with multiple employers
- Employees may take up to 12 weeks within a 12 month period. An employee can take an additional two weeks if there is a serious health condition with a pregnancy that results in incapacity
- The waiting period before using leave is usually 7 days
What am I Paid?
Employees will receive 100% of their weekly earnings, up to $1,000/week